Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving Celebrations

Thanksgiving week. The weekend came and went, mostly tired. Got a few chores done. Susan is preparing for the Thanksgiving day get together, not sure what shape it will take. To me it feels like an invasion but there is more to the family than my sorry $hit state. It is good for everyone to get together, tell the latest stories and watch the kids grow. 
Despite my discomforts there is much to be thankful for. The grandchildren are wonderful, the sons and spouse/friend are here, more extended family coming. I get a day off from radiation treatments. Thanksgiving is a food feast, nothing could interest me less. I had joked with the nurse that I live in Pasadena and in Old Town there are 100 restaurants, none of which interest me right now. Aaron drives me to the Wednesday rad treatment and sits in for the doctor visit. He gets to hear the doctor say I am doing well, should not need a feeding tube and, oh yea, now the hard part starts.Two weeks to go, I keep telling myself this progress matters.
It seems more a matter of surrender, I just keep plodding along to someone else’s plan. The song in my head is from Leonard Cohen but sung by his backup singers, the Webb Sisters. He talks of singing and I substitute dancing, I just don’t have enough energy to even dance around the house, I say:

if it be your will
From this broken hill 
I will dance with you

The Webb Sisters version of If It Be You Will: https://tinyurl.com/bc5hgj3


No comments:

Post a Comment