Friday, October 9, 2015

A Day And Night of Art and Music



What a day. our good friends Bob & Bya come over for lunch, we share the Giordano’s pizza , they bring a raspberry tort desert cake, part of the ‘bulk up Frank’ conspiracy. Then we go to the movies and see The Martian, really great movie. I try to flow with the story rather than deconstruct the technical details they stretch a lot. So much is spot on and, of course, its a great story with great acting. Then we visit Susan’s Mom who is in hospice care. Her condition is about the same bedridden and not much there mentally. But she smiles and eats a bit, she is well cared for and not in pain. Our visit cuts into our Friday dance time but we catch up with Bob & Bya and head out to catch a bit of Art Night in Pasadena. This is a big event with 21 locations hosting art, music or other entertainment, last time they had 28,000 visitors, it looks busier this time. We skip the major art institutions (Norton Simon, Artcenter School of Design and many more) and focus more on music and dance. At city hall there is a cool jazz band and videos of lions projected around the building. One surprise is a fellow under a tree playing what looks like a home made 2 stringed instrument. Wonderful resonance and it reminds me a bit of Scott Huckabay or Bagavan Das in the sound space created but this is danceable music and I send Susan & our friends on so I can dance and spin as the spirit moves. And I dance until I am sweated up and start to worry as I do not want to lose the x-ray alignment spot if I get too wet. I learn the musicians name is Robert S Hilton ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAI3s3-4BHw ) he makes his own instruments and plays a unique sound that really works for me. Then we visit two more sites with bands and art displays, We walk down to the Lineage Dance Company studio and hear a good band and watch wonderful dance performances done to live music. There is something special about dancing to live music. Our last visit is to the Armory Center with several art displays, a scent at project and a great local band Nightjacket (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivt0I-8S4Bg ) Susan & I dance on and on. 


Other than not Dancing With Mr C I can’t imagine a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment