Saturday, October 17, 2015

Medical Marijuana



I never thought this would be my most boring blog entry, but it all just flows as clinical information gathering. Maybe actually using medical marijuana (MM) will be artful or insightful but my current engagement with acquiring it it is practical and even mechanical.

Based on recommendations of friends and advice from other cancer colleagues I am going to engage with MM. Online readings and friends advice indicate I should focus more on the CBD part of the plant (the non psychoactive part) than the THC psychoactive part. I visit a local ‘marijuana doctor’, a real MD who really does go over my current health, my planned treatments and how to engage with MM. Folks who want to get high go for high, 10:1 or all THC content. Online guides to MM suggest a 1:1 CBD to THC ratio. The doctor suggests starting at a 2:1 CBD to THC ratio. And she suggests only getting products that are tested and marked for their properties. Have no idea how other doctors can be in their MM referrals but this one is a pretty serious alternative medical practicer, an actual MD, gives real advice and is there to answer questions and deal with side effects if necessary. The office looks like a real medical office and the patients look very normal. I tell my younger son about this and he laughs and says, ‘well then, its nothing like the places in Hollywood’ without explaining how he would know that. So that was step one,  I have my referral, next I will visit supply places to pick up some ‘product’. 

I join a local MM co-op. An unmarked building with a guarded entry. I have to make an appointment in advance with MD referral details before I can even get in to look at the place. The waiting room is quite sterile but on time. I meet the advisor who goes over my case and their products. Am I familiar with marijuana? Does 30 years ago count? Well, its changed a bit he says. The place looks like a candy store for many, I suppose this is just normal in Colorado and a few other places but surprising in the next town over from me. I don’t want to smoke anything, tongue/throat issues dictate that. But they have various oils with different strengths and CBD to THC proportions. I pick out a 2:1 spray and a 7:1 oil. The advisor goes over good ways to start with low amounts and see how effective the MM is and any side effects. 

Being comfortable scientific experimentation and with numbers I start a spread sheet with time, product, dose, reaction time, duration and other notes. 

So what is the great, exciting newest report? The stuff (highly technical medical term) does work, sort of. At my low initial doses there is almost no identifiable psych effects, it takes the edge off the pain in my neck/face and it does help me sleep, and large amounts of ice cream disappear from my freezer. 

Theme song for this episode? How about Jefferson Airplane’s White Rabbit 


Although this glorifies the psych effect I am grateful for any relief I can get. A better song would probably be ’ With A Little Help From My Friends  http://tinyurl.com/qft4gql

No comments:

Post a Comment