Saturday, October 3, 2015

Joy And Sadness


A very good ending to Friday. After the PET scan news, meeting with the oncologist, visiting my monk friend I Susan & I are tired. We rest up a bit and head out to dance. There is a Friday night dance Susan & I sometimes get to and tonight would be a great time to go as tonight calls for dancing. But we choose another option and  head down to Long Beach where or son Michael is playing. Michael got his degree in music/performance/percussion from CSULB. He is a struggling musician with a part time day job and a range of bands he plays with for fun or income ranging from heavy metal (his favorite) to rock to church gigs to Brazilian music, even classical if its a paying gig. All through school he seemed part of the ‘anti cover’ club. Music had to be original. Now he occasionally does gigs with a band that does covers of bands like Pink Floyd and tonight the Rolling Stones playing a street gig at Art Night in Long Bech. So I get hear him play and dance around the streets of Long Beach. I let loose dancing, keeping mostly out of sight, I want to let go but not embarrass him. There is a fullness in life, something almost biblical from dancing to your children making music.

On a sad note, RIP Wilton Felder, the saxophone player from the Crusaders. Awesome sound. The song I’m So Glad I’m Standing Here Today is equally good as an instrumental piece or with vocals, not a lot of songs like that really. 


No comments:

Post a Comment