Wednesday, October 28, 2015

It Don't Come Easy


Monday night I have enough energy to at least dance a bit at our Monday night dance session. Old friends and comfortable place, wonderful music. I Have my exercise heart monitor on and get exactly zero fitness minutes but it feels so good to just move my body around, dance by myself, with Susan and with friends. My balance is just about gone, cannot spin. I get an email from a friend with info on a DVD called Crazy, Sexy Cancer, we order it from Netflix. I understand it focuses on eating well. Good idea in general, too much junk food. Meanwhile I am more worried about eating more now and eating problems I am likely to encounter in the weeks ahead.

All night I didn’t sleep well not sure if it is from the exertion, eating too much, too late or the wrong things. I am still trying to bulk up when I can so I had  ice cream when I got home. 


On Wednesday there is a small change in schedule. In addition to the rad treatment I get to meet the radiation MD, again. I have my list of questions. Any change to treatment plan? No. What do we know now that we did not know a week ago? Nothing. The Dr advises that these are the ‘good days’. And then goes into how hard weeks 5, 6, 7 & the following two recovery weeks are likely to be. Mouth, taste & smell destroyed. Lots of pain in the throat. Still have to eat when it is uninteresting or worse. Will probably get mouth sores and a list of other problems that will have to be addressed. His descriptions sound right out of Dante’s Inferno and then he smiles and says ….I’m going to be fine. The guy could have a second career as an Army recruiter. 

The songs during the rad treatment were again appropriate. ‘Yesterday' by you know who; ‘all my troubles seems so far away’. And later ‘It Don’t Come Easy’ ; ‘got to pay your dues if you wanna sing the blues’. Here I thought I had paid my dues and I learn they have not sent the bill out yet.  What will my songs be like in a few weeks?

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday my friend. In the grand scheme of things, several weeks of hell for a new lease on life is a bill worth paying, even though it's steep. I know you know that. I am very glad that at least thus far the journey has been tolerable. I hope the Halloween inspired doctor's description doesn't come fully to fruition for you. Sending you big love. If I can be of help at some point, please ask.

    ReplyDelete